Over time, foundations can settle because of shifts in the earth or rock beneath them. Differential settlement occurs when the ground beneath a building shifts or settles unevenly, creating stresses on foundations and slabs. Working with a company that specializes in Houston LEED construction will usually minimize these risks. Understanding the basics of differential settlement can help your company to achieve the greatest longevity and the fewest problems with your new construction in the Houston area.
Reasons for Differential Settlement
A number of different factors can contribute to differential settlement issues. Some of the common reasons include the following:
- Trees, shrubs and other plants can sometimes reduce the levels of moisture in the area surrounding the structure. This can cause soil to dry out and to provide less support for some areas of your building.
- The wrong kind of soil can also cause serious issues with settling of the foundation or slab of your building. Over time, soils can become compressed and incapable of providing adequate support for larger structures. Clay soils are especially prone to excessive compression.
- Seismic activity can create vibrations that can settle soil and underlying layers of rock to cause serious issues for your building.
Your Houston design build company can provide you with added help in countering these issues and reducing the risk of damage to your building because of differential settlement issues.
Issues Caused by Differential Settlement
When different parts of a building settle at significantly different rates because of changes in soil conditions or seismic activity, this often causes a number of unwanted side effects:
- Distortions or warping of the frame of the building
- Improper fit and function for doors and windows
- Cracks and deterioration of foundations and slabs
- Damage to walls and to flooring
- Structural instability that could result in your building being deemed unfit for occupation or habitation
Working with a company with proven experience and knowledge in the Houston office building construction field can ensure that high-rise structures, warehouses, residential complexes and other buildings are protected against some of the most serious effects of differential settlement in our area.
At GRA-Gulf Coast Construction, our team of expert contractors will help you to design and create the Houston LEED construction buildings needed to help your business achieve a greater degree of success in the Houston area. We have the experience and knowledge needed to provide innovative turnkey solutions and start-to-finish support for your building project. To learn more about our full lineup of services or to request a quote for your next construction project, call us today at 713-934-7797 to schedule a free consultation. At GRA-Gulf Coast Construction, we look forward to the opportunity to provide you with the best Houston LEED construction services in our area.